One of the most common diseases of the throat in cats is sore throat or acute tonsillitis. Often, simple inflammation can develop into viral stomatitis. Therefore, it is necessary to closely monitor the animal in order to notice at the first sign when the cat has a sore throat, and to avoid complications with the help of timely treatment.
Cat sore throat general information
During a sore throat, the swallowing ring becomes infected, in which the throat and tonsils swell. The disease occurs when a cat or cat has become infected with microorganisms such as staphylococci and streptococci and must be treated immediately. Even if the cat has never had a sore throat, this does not mean that this ailment may not touch her. You need to closely monitor the animal, and do not miss the moment when the pet has a sore throat.
Streptococcus in cats is a type of microorganism that is caused by bacteria from the genus streptococci. It is considered the causative agent of severe pathological processes that require a quick reaction and relief.
Types and signs of Cat sore throat
By the nature of the development of the disease, two forms are distinguished :
- chronic – the Cat’s throat hurts for several months.
- acute – develops instantly. The animal’s temperature rises, it hurts the cat to swallow, the number of leukocytes and ESR in the blood increases. It is more difficult to tolerate than chronic, but quickly passes with properly selected treatment.
By the nature of the course of inflammation, depending on the microorganism that caused the disease, several types are distinguished :
- catarrhal – determined by a tingling sensation in the throat and pain when swallowing. In cats, the throat becomes inflamed, the tonsils are slightly enlarged, a whitish coating is noticeable on the tongue, the temperature is slightly above normal, and in rare cases the voice disappears.
- croupous – determined by edema and compression of the swallowing ring, the temperature is 2-3 degrees above normal. With a strong course of the disease, breathing is disturbed, shortness of breath appears, the cat refuses food and water, the throat hurts, and the mucous membrane becomes pale. A cough appears when trying to eat food, and unpleasant discharge from the nose comes out, the cat cannot meow, but can only wheeze.
- diphtheria – determined by a gray-white bloom, a temperature much higher than normal, infection of the mucous membranes of the mouth and nose, even there is blood. It rarely happens.
- ulcerative – defined by small sores on the pharyngeal mucosa, especially in the tonsils. Temperatures may be normal.
Treatment of Cat sore throat
Home treatment is allowed only in the absence of serious complications, and if the cat does not refuse food and water. In case of severe manifestations of the disease, you should immediately seek help from a doctor.
During home throat treatment, you need to intensively support the body of the animal, and increase immunity.
- place the cat in a warm room without drafts
- surround the animal with affection and care
- increase calorie intake and avoid hard-to-digest foods
- give your pet only warm liquid food
If on the second day there are no changes for the better, and the animal still has a sore throat, it is necessary to urgently contact a specialist and show him the cat or cat.
Based on the examination of the throat, the veterinarian can prescribe the best ways to maintain the body of the cat and cat :
- subcutaneous or intravenous glucose infusion
- alcohol compresses for warming
- in especially difficult cases – antibiotic therapy and parallel strengthening of the intestinal microflora
It is strictly forbidden to prescribe antibiotics on your own to treat a sore throat in a cat. Only a specialist should make recommendations